NFP House often has queries from organisations looking for funding. The first question we ask is:
“Do you have a strategic plan?” followed by, “What does the organisation need and how much does it cost?”
WHAT IS STRATEGIC PLANNING AND HOW WILL IT HELP WITH FUNDING?
Strategic Planning is where people from an organisation come together to plan the future goals and strategies to achieve those goals. Strategic Planning supports the development of the organisation as a whole, including:
- Establishing good governance;
- Strong participation;
- Good communication;
- A strong volunteer base;
- Risk management and policies;
- Asset management;
- Financial Sustainability; and
- Facility development and management.
A well-documented and implemented strategic plan will show funding agencies and sponsors that you are an effective and efficient organisation with well-planned future direction.
Once you have an idea of what you need and how much it costs, follow our simple step-by-step grant process:
- Develop a plan for your project (detailed budget, design/specifications, details) and receive approval from the Committee to move to the funding phase;
- Talk to your Council, your State Government representative and funding agencies to determine the best program or cocktail of funding for your project;
- Read the funding guidelines and applications carefully and make a list of actions (some funding requirements can take time, prioritise these);
- Ensure the organisation has the required tenure and funds to invest in the project, if required;
- Research documentation to support your application (Council plans, strategic plan, community documents, letters of support);
- Clearly articulate community benefits (use statistics and identified community needs);
- Document those who will benefit from the project. Not just your members, but all of those involved in your organisation;
- Identify and manage risks associated with the project;
- Give yourself time, complete the application fully and accurately and get feedback on the draft application; and
- If unsuccessful, make sure you request feedback on the application. Make it better and resubmit for the next round!
Does your community group or business need assistance with finding funding? NFP House will be providing another round of free of charge grant writing services to organisations within the Gladstone Local Government Area that have been affected by COVID-19 Pandemic.
This program is the result of a collaboration between Shell’s QGC business and Gladstone Regional Council (GRC).
NFP House provides information and advisory services to not-for-profit (NFP) organisations. Any advice, information or data provided by NFP House does not constitute financial or legal recommendations and should not be relied upon for business decisions. Ownership of any decisions remains exclusively with the NFP organisation being assisted and should be made at their discretion, in consideration of all possible risk factors. NFP House shall not be liable or held liable for any consequence of decisions or actions made by NFP organisations being assisted.